Thursday 27 June 2013

Huginn and Muginn the orchard crows

In the afternoons a pair of crows often come to visit me in the orchard. They don't come too close but they hang around in the hope of being able to nick something and from time to time they have been fairly successful managing to steal some of my lunch when it's been left unattended wrapped only in plastic.

I've nicknamed them Huginn and Muginn after Oden's ravens and I find them vastly entertaining.

Today I succumbed to their charms, crumbled a scone and threw it for them. Huginn was first in gathering up as much as possible before flying off to who knows where, Muginn repeated the exercise and all was well until the magpie appeared.

Huggin and Muggin quickly saw the magpie off  but then another pair of crows appeared and while Huginn and Muginn chased them away the magpie dived in and got himself some tasty morsels.

I was so amused by these corvid shenanigans that I confess to donating another scone to the participants, I expect I'll come to regret my generosity should I find myself mobbed by crows!

2 comments:

  1. I know some people don't like crows, or magpies, but I do and always watch their antics at the allotments with interest. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just crying at the videos
    Lol
    As for crows
    They have killed several of my new born hen chicks

    ReplyDelete